Monday, October 27, 2008

Matt Timson explains the making of the cover to IMPALER #1

My name is Matt Timson (and not Tim Matthews- which is a common misconception) and I'm currently lucky enough to be the artist for Impaler, written by William (Bill) Harms and published by Top Cow.
Having previously worked on zombie stuff, I was quite keen to make the switch to vampires, as there's something inherently nasty and evil about a vampire that makes it even more frightening than a zombie to me. A zombie doesn’t really know what it's doing- it's all about staggering from place to place, looking for the ever more elusive brains it seems to hanker after. You can outrun a zombie. You can outwit a zombie (and if you can't, frankly, you deserve to get eaten). You can even stand your ground against one or two, if you keep your wits about you and don't mind bashing their brains in. Vampires, on the other hand, are genuinely evil in my book. They're fast, deadly, intelligent and extremely difficult to kill if you're just some poor slob in the wrong place at the wrong time. The best you can hope for is that the Sun will rise before they find your hiding place, or that they'll kill you quick if not. They delight in what they do and I get the impression that feeding is secondary to the enjoyment of simply tearing people apart for fun. That's something I really wanted to get across- that these guys are having the time of their (un)lives as they peel your face off, crush your skull and lap up the resulting rivers of blood that gush out- which is why most of my vampires are grinning or laughing. They can get a bit angry too, of course, but the main thing I'm going for is a sense of enjoyment. READ MORE.



No comments: