Wednesday, March 03, 2010

CBR: Hill & Levin Open "Pandora's Box for Inspiration



For better or worse, every comic book creator has his or her own personal well of inspiration. Whether it's a little mentioned graphic novel or the sweeping score of a movie soundtrack, each and every writer and artist looks towards something else in this world, both internally and externally, for some creative guidance.

It's certainly no different for Bryan Edward Hill and Rob Levin, the co-writers of Top Cow's currently running "Broken Trinity: Pandora's Box" miniseries, and it just so happens that both writers are willing to speak at length about the various influences that inform their work. In a CBR exclusive, Hill and Levin joined forces to discuss the works of fiction, pieces of music and other aspects of life that they find to be the most influential on their "Broken Trinity" collaboration and their creative process at large.

"Batman: The Cult"

Bryan Edward Hill: Jim Starlin, Bernie Wrightson and Bill Wray changed my mind with this mini-series. I still remember sitting in my bedroom as a kid, turning the pages and having little explosions go off in my head. "My present reality is not a pretty place... hard to think, damn hard." Just brilliant!

This mini-series is a shining example of the power of economy and the ability of words and images to create an experience unlike any other. In my opinion, I think it's as significant as "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns." This book just doesn't get enough credit.

The Films of Michael Mann

Hill: Michael Mann is inarguably my favorite filmmaker. Some people say he's style over substance, but I disagree. In his work, style is informed by substance. His work, in addition to being visceral and filled with dynamic action, has some of the best explorations of character in modern fiction. In comics, it's not just enough to have iconic imagery - that imagery has to inform the reader about character, about the themes of the work, or it's just flash. Watching how Mann visualizes his narratives, and how those narratives are largely told through imagery, is a master class in visual storytelling.

Rob and I first vibed talking about Michael Mann and David Fincher before we started working together. I love David Fincher too, but I only wanted to put one filmmaker on the list and Michael Mann's work has my heart. Too bad comic books can't come with their own soundtrack - but in the advent of digital, I'm working on that!

Read the whole article here.

Source: CBR



No comments: