Thursday, April 22, 2010

First Comic News Reviews Angelus #3



One of the things I really like about Top Cow is the way they’ve reinvented themselves over the years. Originally developed as a vehicle for Marc Silvestri’s creations, they quickly expanded and (to put it bluntly) became more known for their T&A than anything else. I’m not knocking it – it was gorgeous stuff and I was a fan – but it was T&A nonetheless.

Fortunately, in recent times, they’ve sought to change that and develop a real mythology for their universe. They didn’t go and change everything , they just created some solid bones for that T&A to hang on, and I think it was the right approach. Ron Marz, ably assisted by Phil Hester and others, has crafted a wonderfully cohesive, engaging and interesting universe that continually draws me in (even when I try to step away). So that brings me to the new Angelus series by Ron Marz and the amazing Stjepan Sejic.

I must admit to being a little behind on the Top Cow canon. Last I read, Dani Baptiste was the bearer of the Witchblade and Sara Pezzini had become a supporting character in what was once her own book. Now I find that Dani is no longer the Witchblade, but has become the new Angelus and has her own mini-series (of which this is issue 3). I’m quickly brought up to date by a solid, but not overly burdened, recap page and then we’re off into this fascinating tale that further fleshes out the mythology of the Angelus.

Read the full review here.

Source: First Comic News


No comments: